Monday, January 13, 2014

Intellectual Goal

My goal for 2013 was to read at least 100 books and was based on a quote contributed to Charlie Jones.  He said, "Five years from today, you will be the same person that you are today, except for the books you read and the people you meet."  I found that I read a lot of good books and learned a lot of things but really didn't have the time to apply the great principles to my life in the intentional way I would have liked to.

My intellectual goal is still based on reading because I think that by reading good books is a way I can invest into my life.  Chris Brogan started a challenge for people to go on a three book diet.  This would mean reading the same three books exclusively for one year to help the principles really take root into your life.  I am starting with three books but am giving myself the flexibility to do other reading that is required by work or for fun.  In addition, if I get to a point that I don't feel like I need to continue reading a book again this year I will replace it with another one.

The three books I am reading are The Noticer Returns by Andy Andrews, The 5 Love Languages: Men's Edition by Gary Chapman and Thou Shall Prosper by Rabbi Daniel Lapin.  Each of these books will help me in an area of my life.  My short term goal for January is to read through each book for the first time to see if they will stay on my list for the rest of the year.  If I decide to stick with the three books I will then spend February going through and reading each again with a highlighter.

Do you have any books you are planning on reading this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment